Оберон-клуб «ВЄДАsoft»

Твердыня модульных языков
Текущее время: 19 мар 2024, 06:55

Часовой пояс: UTC + 2 часа

Автор Сообщение
СообщениеДобавлено: 05 мар 2017, 00:07 

Проскочило по Oberon-рассылке ETH:

Steven Hirsch писал(а):
I purchased that compiler many years ago and had mixed success with it. Peter had handed over marketing to some organization called (if memory serves) CATS. The guy who ran it was unresponsive to bug reports and I eventually switched to Turbo Modula-2. TM2 had its own issues, but was really a great environment to code in. Around 1988 I wrote a rather complex realtime control system in TM2 for managing dozens of VCRs in an educational setting.

> There's a Peter Hochstrasser currently working at AXON IVY, listed on LinkedIn, who looks like a good match. It says he majored in compiler construction at ETH (1979 - 1984):
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/peterhochstrasser/

It would be terrific if someone could chase him down and get the complete sources for historic preservation.

Some years back I wrote to Borland in an attempt to get the sources for TM2, but they denied ever selling such a product - go figure.

Bob Walkden писал(а):
If I remember correctly, Borland bought Topspeed Modula-2, formerly JPI Modula-2, and it eventually became absorbed in Clarion Developer (?) and lost its separate identity. I don't remember it ever being called Turbo M2, but it was a long time ago, and I may have it wrong.

I still have the last distribution that I bought of TS M2, and I imagine it would still work. I don't think it includes the compiler or IDE sources though.

I wrote quite a bit of interesting stuff with it back in the late 80s, working for a large retailer. Writing software for PCs was a bit Wild West there at that time, and we could pretty much pick and choose what we coded in. Bad idea at the corporate level, but fun for programmers.

Chris Burrows писал(а):
> If I remember correctly, Borland bought Topspeed Modula-2, formerly
> JPI Modula-2, and it eventually became absorbed in Clarion Developer (?) and lost its separate identity. I don't remember it ever being called Turbo M2, but it was a long time ago, and I may have it wrong.

Not exactly. The CP/M Turbo M2 compiler was bought in by Borland. The support contact listed in the ReadMe file is:

HEIMSOETH SOFTWARE GmbH & CoKG

The MS-DOS compiler was developed in-house by Niels Jensen. It was renamed TopSpeed Modula-2 after he left Borland to form Jensen and Partners International (JPI):

http://www.cbronline.com/news/niels_jensen_explains_how_topspeed_leaves_borlands_turbo_compilers_standing

If this URL gets split by the mailing list, try the shorter version:

https://tinyurl.com/jydu4vl

and, yes - it did eventually get absorbed in Clarion.

Regards,
Chris

Steven Hirsch писал(а):
> If I remember correctly, Borland bought Topspeed Modula-2, formerly JPI Modula-2, and it eventually became absorbed in Clarion Developer (?) and lost its separate identity. I don't remember it ever being called Turbo M2, but it was a long time ago, and I may have it wrong.

They may have acquired Topspeed / JPI M2, but those were for the Intel PC environment. The product I'm referring to was specific for Z80 CP/M and never appeared in a PC flavor. It compiled to "M-Code" and linked in the runtime engine. Programs may have run somewhat slower than the output from a true native compiler but the intermediate code was very compact and, I believe, relocatable. My application had a lot of hardware interface requirements and TM2 supported modules written in Z80 assembler for bit-tickling. There was even a special version written to take advantage of Zilog Z180 / Hitachi 64180 memory mapping. That variant supported an extended address space (up to almost 1 MB) for executable code (though not data).

Turbo Modula-2 was marketed through a third party, but had Borland's name on it. Odd arrangement, but it was definitely their product.

> Not exactly. The CP/M Turbo M2 compiler was bought in by Borland. The support contact listed in the ReadMe file is:
> HEIMSOETH SOFTWARE GmbH & CoKG

That's new information to me! It certainly wasn't mentioned in any paperwork I have. I'd love to know more about how this product came about. It was way, way ahead of the competition during the waning days of CP/M.

Josef Templ писал(а):
I am not absolutely sure but I think you are referring to the Z80 Modula-2 development system by Martin Odersky (plus colleague). Martin Odersky is well known nowadays as the inventor of Scala. Try to contact him via [ .. ] or at Lightbend (formerly Typesafe), where he is also working.

- Josef

Nemo писал(а):
Turbo M2 is still avalilable from several archives. (For example, the OAK CP/M repository on the Internet Archives or classiccmp.org. (I never actually used it so I have no opinion. I used FTL Modula-2, which I found reasonably good.)

N.

Treutwein Bernhard писал(а):
Hi Oleg,

the later history of Clarion/TopSpeed/JPI is quite well summarized on this page: https://pisoft.ru/verstak/insider/cw_history.htm

As far as I know, which may be more rumors than real knowledge, Chris Burrows notes about HeimSoeth and the Turbo M2 for CP/M are correct.

In a digital archive of the german computer magazine c't, I found the review (extracted and appended as PDF) of it. Sorry, but the review is in german.

--
Bernhard

Вложения:
ct8510.pdf [705.1 КБ]
Скачиваний: 553
Ответить с цитатой  
СообщениеДобавлено: 26 дек 2017, 08:09 

Bob Walkden писал(а):
If I remember correctly, Borland bought Topspeed Modula-2, formerly JPI Modula-2, and it eventually became absorbed in Clarion Developer (?) and lost its separate identity.

Поддержка Modula-2 ещё осталась в Clarion for Windows во всех версиях, даже в последней С10.

Само IDE Clarion не заточено под работу с Modula-2, но компилятор должен распознавать и лет 15-20 назад его считали одним из лучших - был разработан компанией JPI (отпочковалась от Borland ), которая потом соединилась с TopSpeed. Затем название компании изменили и теперь она называется SoftVelocity. Вряд ли там остались старые разработчики компилятора, но по прежнему в руководстве указывается поддержка Modula-2 - есть ссылки в руководстве пользователя и примеры.

Была у меня идея подключить Clarion для разработки пользовательского интерфейса, но пока руки не дошли. По старым ссылкам в нем есть возможность создавать интерфейс пользователя средствами Modula-2.

Ответить с цитатой  

Часовой пояс: UTC + 2 часа